Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Fellowship Application
Surgical sports medicine is one of the sub-specialties of orthopaedic surgery and applicants to a orthopaedic surgery sports medicine fellowship program will need to have completed their residency in orthopaedic surgery before entering a fellowship program, although application may begin during residency. Part of the application process includes writing a personal statement for fellowship. Fellowship programs in sports medicine are extremely competitive. The orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine personal statement may provide you with your best chance of getting into a fellowship program. As it is so competitive, a personal statement must get you noticed and make a strong case for why you should be one of those accepted into a fellowship program.
Useful Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Personal Statement Writing Tips
By this stage, applicants to fellowship programs have essentially proven their academic abilities. They will have completed medical school and be well on their way to concluding their residency requirements. Most if not all applicants to programs will be well qualified. One of the keys to being accepted into a fellowship program is the personal statement. The following tips can help you write a personal statement for fellowships that gets admissions attention:
- Provide your reasons for choosing orthopaedic surgery sports medicine as a specialty. It is critical that you offer specific reasons because admissions committees look at your motivation for choosing the field to judge your commitment. A generic statement won’t get you an interview.
- Make your personal statement interesting. Not always easy. A good beginning is to establish a focus/theme for your statement and include a personal anecdote that is related. Interesting doesn’t mean it must be thrilling. A normal incident can be interesting and display some insightful observations.
- Avoid clichés and quotes. Most of them have been done to death and admissions committees prefer your words.
- Proofread your personal statement. Four years as a college undergrad, four years of medical school and five years as a resident and you submit a personal statement with spelling mistakes? A fast trip to the rejection pile in most cases.
Using an example of a personal statement fellowship applicants from past years have written as a writing guide can be helpful. Here is an example of a personal statement for orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine fellowship application:
“I first developed an interest in orthopaedics while in medical school and that interest continued to grow. Choosing orthopaedic surgery as a specialty was an easy decision for me and one that I don’t regret. It is an area where you can see immediate results, which provides a sense of satisfaction for me. I have always been an active participant in sports and would like to apply to your schools orthopaedic sports medicine fellowship program. My interest in a sports medicine fellowship isn’t only due to enjoying sports. Through my participation in sports I have met several elite athletes who have had career ending injuries. I would like to do what I can to not only repair and rehabilitate career threatening injuries, but to return a person’s ability to do what they are best at to them.
Many injuries experienced by athletes need not have ever occurred. By completing the orthopaedic sports medicine fellowship program I will also gain the knowledge to advise athletes on conditioning techniques that will help prevent unnecessary injuries, and keep relatively minor injuries from becoming worse. Although repairing something that was damaged, and getting it to function again at full capacity is satisfying, it is better to never have suffered the damage in the first place. I realize not every injury can be prevented and not every operation will be able to return 100 percent capability to an individual but I feel it is an obligation for a physician to provide themselves with the tools that enable them to do the best they possibly can.
I enjoy the field of orthopaedic medicine and look forward to a career in sports medicine. Your fellowship program will provide me with the tools I need to do the best possible job for those whose health I am responsible for.”
Writing a personal statement can be difficult at the best of times, and even more so for orthopaedic surgery residents with hectic schedules. If you are having difficulty writing the orthopaedic sports medicine fellowship personal statement, our fellowship personal statement service is an excellent solution to your problem.
About Our Fellowship Personal Statement Service
We specialize in fellowship personal statements and provide both fellowship writing and editing services. Our professional writers have graduate degrees and have completed fellowship programs themselves. The have extensive knowledge of the fellowship application process proven experience providing successful personal statements. Some of the advantages of using our service include:
- Professional writing and editing help from a successful graduate of a fellowship program in the same field as you are applying to.
- Free proofreading and plagiarism checks to ensure an original personal statement that is error free.
- Customer support 24/7
- Complete customer confidentiality